Wednesday 13 February 2013

URBAN DECAY GLINDA PALETTE SWATCHES AND REVIEW

Being a musical theatre student I was too excited when I heard they were planning on making a Urban Decay palette inspired by Glinda. Anyone close to me knows I love my Urban Decay, and as a girl who has had every Urban Decay palette so far, I needed one of the Oz palettes, inspired by the Oz The Great And Powerful by Disney. I wasn't sure which palette to get but in the end the gorgeous metallics and light pastels really drew me in. I didn't like the nude lipstick pen that came with it, but loved the red the Theodora palette had. I wasn't planning on getting the Theodora palette as well - I'm a student - so when I opened up my Glinda palette the Theodora lipstick pen fell out instead of the Glinda one. I guess this isn't a good thing, but it worked in my favour. 
The packaging itself is identical to the gorgeous palette. It really is true to Glinda. A pretty white with washes of pastel pink, purple and yellow with hundreds of little stars with the big gold lettering, who couldn't be in love with this?! It's also made of tin, which is very different to its previous palettes which are usually made of plastic or some kind of cardboard. Inside is a huge mirror which I found handy and a really decent size. The style of the palette is the exact same to their custom palettes where you can pick and choose your colours. However this palette comes with a eyeliner instead of a travel size brush.
I was a bit silly and when I first opened it I caught the bottom right shadow with my thumb!! Oh the joys of having huge thumbs. 
Magic, the two Aura shades and Tornado.

  

MAGIC
Magic is a very light shimmery sheer
wearable pink. I know some
pinks can be a bit daunting, 
but thanks to its peach shimmer
this looks gorgeous on the eyes, 
on its own or with other colours.
The texture is lovely and I really
loved blending with this.










AURA
This is the colour that made me choose this palette. After an hour talking to the
UD make up artist he said that this
was his favourite, and I fell in love.
This is 1 of 2 half and half shades in the palette, the first half looks like a washed out green, but comes out a gorgeous shimmery teal as you can see in the swatches above. I am in love. The other half is my favourite of the two and is a shimmery, sheer and iridescent rose. Stunning.
These are both perfect for corner of the eyes or even a twist on the usual highlighters.
These colours scream Glinda.




TORNADO
Even though Tornado is a gorgeous rich
deep purple with black tones to it,
I was puzzled as to why it was in the palette.
It's not very Glinda-like. But then I realised that this colour really compliments all the softer shades in this palette. Genius. For some reason this really reminds me of the eyeliner Rockstar, and they both look great together. This is also a dream to blend with, Its buttery texture is true to UD.



South, then two colours from Oz and then Illusion.


SOUTH
South is gorgeous, and will be one of my most used. Again it's classic to how you'd expect UD shadows to be; blendable, buttery and pigmented.
This metallic beauty is stunning and catches the light perfectly. This shade is in between silver and gold and carries so much shimmer. I cannot wait to use this in my evening looks.








OZ
One shadow had to be Oz, and I'm so glad it's this beauty!! I love this. The classic gold and silver metallics all in one. I have no faults with the silver, it goes on perfectly. However we all know each UD palette has to have a super glittery one that goes everywhere. The gold is that one. It's a shame as I really loved the look of it. Even though it comes out sheer, if anyone has a vice palette, you pretty much have a better version of this, Blitz. Blitz is much more easy to use and far more pigmented.






Illusion
I don't think I am going to be able to praise this enough. I wasn't sure on it in the pan, but on the lids it looks stunning. It has more of a silky peach with a slight beige look to it. It really is becoming one of my favourites. It looks great as an all over colour with another colour in the crease. It's perfect for my pale complexion and gives my eyes more depth and colour while still keeping it minimal. An absolute win for me. I suspect this will be my most used.




I was given the wrong lipstick, so this is Theodora for the Theodora palette. If you want a review for the Glinda lipstick then go to Marvelle's blog.

I have also done a more in depth review on Rockstar the mini eyeliner that came in the Glinda palette here.
I'm really on the fence with this red high gloss lip colour in Theodora. It's just a bit odd for me and I think it'll take some getting used too.
It seems a bit hard to use on your lips and the colour doesn't seem to just glide off onto the lips. The glossiness to me comes off a bit sticky and I feel the colour just doesn't go wear I tell it to. However once I fiddle around for a while I do get a decent look out of it, and I must say  it does last forever. I just think it will take some getting used too. I think I will stick to my Mac Russian Red for now.
Have you got either palettes? Planning on getting it? What do you think of them and what is your favourite shade? Thank you for reading and don't hesitate to leave a comment. Thank you!











28 comments:

  1. This is such a gorgeous little kit :) The shadow South is so pretty! xx

    http://belle-amiebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so stunning!! So happy with all the shades! :) xx

      Delete
  2. gorgeous colours :) Still need to buy some urban decay. Been on the wishlist forever! And it's so weird how it came with the red lip pencil! Oh well, at least you got your favourite! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wont be disappointed!! :D UD are amazing! I know, big fault on UD's part, but made me happy anyway! I wouldn't have worn the nude, so I'm glad! :D Thanks for the comment :)
      x

      Delete
  3. Wow I love the pallette, the colours are so pretty! How did they end up giving you the wrong lipstick? :S

    http://hidbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. It's inside the packaging so there's no way of switching it over before hand. Probably just a fault in some of the palettes, my guess anyway x

      Delete
  4. that lip colour is gorgeous!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! :D I shall check it out :) x

      Delete
  5. The colours are so beautiful! Loving the bright lip colour.

    dreamdustx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It's so pretty!! Can't wait to experiment with it! xx

      Delete
  7. Awww love the palette packaging, looks so cute!
    The lip colour looks amazing! Your can't beat a good bold red lip! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - It looks devine!! I simply have to have it on my desk for the world to see! And yes, I love a classic red lippy! x

      Delete
  8. I got this as soon as it launched and I just love it - that gold and silver duo is soooo pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it!! Yeah I love it, so glad I picked it up! :) x

      Delete
  9. I have Theodora, but now you have me wanting Glinda is well! The colours look gorgeous, and the pics you took are beautiful! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous!! I love both, but Glinda had my heart!! Thank you so much!! xx

      Delete
  10. The aura shadows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Simply stunning. So subtle yet so beautiful! Can' fault them! xx

      Delete
  11. Glinda is so pretty! I knew I wanted it when I saw it in store...and I finally got it! :D It's somewhere in the mail! So excited!!

    LOL I hope I get the wrong lip product too ;) I really want Thedora's red!

    -sillylilacs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! The red is so lovely isn't it!! Ah you'll love it - It really is a gorgeous palette!! Can't wait for you to get it! :D xx

      Delete
  12. Must get, must get, MUST GET!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it!! :D Couldn't say no! :) xxx

      Delete
  13. Hi, I may have to get this after reading your post! How pretty, I love the aura shade too it looks really delicate. Also the red lip is gorgeous on you! Jools xxx




    jooolsw@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahw thank you!! :D This really is a stunning palette. I can't wait to try more things with it! :D Thanks for the comment beautiful :)
      xxx

      Delete
  14. I made my mummy buy this for me. Hehe... Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa!! Good on you Sask ;) I'm proud! :D xx

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I read them all and I will try to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking your time to do so! ♥